Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sealed with the Cross of Christ Forever

On August 22nd, Master Carter Allen was baptized at Norway Lutheran Church on one of the hottest days of summer. No matter, he was sealed with the Cross of Christ forever, one of my most favorite, if not my favorite, excerpts from the Lutheran Book of Worship (green book). It is powerful and satisfying for me and for my grandson.


I was unable to get the exact shot of the marking of the cross on his forehead, so the water will have to do. Please remember this shot was secured with a big lens and cropping on my computer. I would hate for anyone to think that Grandma had her camera, hovering like a big fly, inches away from this special moment,

Stepping back a few moments, the late afternoon family service was held at the venerable Norway Lutheran Church, now closed publicly but opens its doors for special services, weddings, funerals and new beginnings - a baptism. The church sit atop the Mouse River Valley where it has since 1907. Among the church's charter members where Erik Espeseth and Martin Bredahl, the great great great grandparents of young Carter. Did they ever wonder when they came to this valley in 1883, after leaving Norway, if their family would still claim this area as home?





Anyone who has ever sat in the ornate oak pews of this beloved church knows the sound of the church bell. It would peal before Sunday services, on very special occasions and on Christmas Eve. Sadly as well, there is another bell on the other side, the funeral bell.



Stanley Markusen, who is godparent to Erik - Carter's dad, is instructing Collin (Carter's older brother) how to ring the bell. It is not a random act, protocol is involved, and so is procedure. I am sure Stan instructed Erik, Tad and Bill as well. Their father, Myles, was also a veteran of the bell. He would ring it on Christmas Eve at 6:00 pm usually with an entourage of kids. Grandma's house was just down the road. Those of us left behind would go outside with a waft of lutefisk trailing behind us and listen as the clear bell ring echoed down the valley.


Nostalgia aside, Carter wore the baptismal gown worn by his grandfather Myles and great grandfather Myron. My own sons did not wear it, why I don't remember. Probably because is was a girl thing. Dresses? I am past that now. I did have Carsten's picture wearing it when he was 14 months old. Later having it framed with Myles and Myron wearing the same gown.





If Carter could talk this picture looks like he would say, "Oh no, please, not a slip, and a dress!! This gets out, I'm ruined."






Carter looks just like his Dad when he was little.



Pastor Mary Miska welcoming Carter into the church of God. A very good place to be!


Erik, Nicki, Carter,and Collin, Pastor Miska, Sara and Dylan Anderson - Carter's godparents. I am godmother to Sara, and she is Erik's cousin. Sara wore the same baptismal gown at this very church thirty years before. Dylan is Nicki's stepbrother. The infamous North Dakota relative web.


On a side note: All of my boys are very mechanical and are ever so enthralled with how things work. In this picture Carter is watching the ceiling fans. He would often gaze up and look with consternation as they whirled away.


God bless you Carter Allen. You have a long life ahead of you but you will walk tall and wisely with Christ at your side. Love, Grandma.

3 comments:

Carla said...

MaryLiz - loved this entry in your blog. I, too, love the "sealed with the cross of Christ" part as well as the part of every service that declares the forgiveness of all our sins and the pastor gives the sign of the cross. It is as if I can feel him marking it right on me.
And I love the history of the gown. We just had this discussion regarding what Krista's little guy will wear. I have the dress I was baptised in, as well as my girls, but they have decided it is only meant for a girl and little Brenner will be wearing something of his own. ;)

Karlyn Frantsen said...

Beautiful blog, MaryLiz and photos!! Especially love the first and last pics!!! And the lace on the garment!! And the most important, love that your little grandson was baptized and sealed with the cross of Christ forever! God's blessings!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the pictures of the old Norway Church. Visiting there 50+ years ago is among my favorite childhood memories