Saturday, October 9, 2010

Winter Is On Its Way

We have been experiencing near once in a life time fall weather. Today is the 9th of October, it is 2:00 in the afternoon and the temperature is 77 degrees, with the high forecast slated for 79. As of late, we haven't had much of the famous North Dakota wind, and the rain stopped about 10 days ago. We're still mowing on a very regular basis.

I have slowly been hauling, up from a basement closet, my autumn and winter clothes. But none too rapidly have I been dragging the summer wares/wears (?) back down. I'm still wearing them, as late as this morning - sandals to a funeral.

Five years ago we had a fierce winter storm that rendered the town and its people near useless. Ice draped everything, dragging anything in its path ground-ward bound. Trees and evergreens looked like worn soldiers at the end of the great battle.

During that dreadful storm I was still at the nursing home in the employment mode and Ron was running the train. He left in his work car and later was stranded in Minot overnight as the roads were impossible. I had his pickup and was shuttling employees to and from work; four wheel drive was the only thing moving.

October is the time of year when the days grow shorter. Coats and jackets start appearing. We are gearing down for the winter we know will come.

I used to be a huge sweater girl. No, no, no not the curvaceous kind, just a lover of all kinds of sweater. The cozy look, with muted colors and bulky yarns. And yes, expensive Norwegian sweaters are include in that love. Given the times, I don't really buy them at a rapid rate, too blasted hot. Side note: I used to be a sweater girl, now I'm a flasher. Never mind, but the other day I got an email from Victoria's Secret telling of great winter sweaters on sale. So I click on the link and voila!!! This is their idea of a winter sweater??



Anyway... we are in wait for the winter that will come, somehow, someway, someday - until then happy autumn.

1 comment:

Karlyn Frantsen said...

Don't we wish we could wear this sweater??!!!! Anyway, happy autumn to you and thanks for the reminder!!We'll have to remember these awesome days when the flakes are swirling around!!!