Friday, October 9, 2009

40 Days and 40 Nights

It is official, in a mere 40 days, henceforth 40 nights (sleeps if your into toddlereze) I will wake up and ask myself, "Gosh, what should I do today?" After all this will be my first day of my new life.

I didn't get a divorce, have gastric bypass surgery, (or breast augmentation either) win the lottery, turn Catholic, get a hearing aid, or hopefully not die and wake up heaven - although I do hope the latter is my eventual landing strip.

On November 18th I will wake up to my first day of my retired life. On November 17th (now that you have counted out the days) will be my last day of employment as the Activities Director at Souris Valley Care Center. I took the leap!

Not a blind leap either. Plenty of thought and sleepless nights went into this so called leap. I love my job, the residents are my extended family and so is the staff (Is that why we tangle at times, sisterly love?) I have worked there three months short of 24 years. It is a part of me, so to call it quits was not an easy decision but...

Tempus fug it, time marches on and waits for no one. I hope to pursue all the things that have been on hold, or brewing in my cranium - the cranium which many of my "sisters" have thought is rather empty at times.

Ron is now retired and it is because of this wonderful husband I have it is possible for me to take this leap. Thank you Ron, you're a good man, taking care of your good (???) wife.



So let the countdown begin!

4 comments:

Nicole Reid said...

Congratulations ML!!! Robert is concerned about the collage above your desk. He's afraid he'll lose his prominent position. ;)

Susan said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?! You are going to retire - BEFORE I do?!?!?!

What can you possibly do retired - that you can't do working? People take advantage of you, you know..."hey, since you don't work would you mind being my ride for my colonoscopy?..." At first you might not mind, be OK with it (after all, you ARE retired....) - but how many times can you read the magazines in that office???

And I know people who are retired - they seem to get less done in a day than when they worked! So forget increased productivity. It just ends up being that much more time to waste

By now I am sure you have realized - the people who will loathe your retirement the most - are the ones who have not yet followed you down that road.

Stay tuned....

Karlyn Frantsen said...

I am soooooooooooooooo happy for you and sooooooooooooooooo bummed out for us at work!!! You will be missed tooooooooooooooooo much!!!

Mac said...

Mary Liz:

I am so jealous I could spit. Let me know when you are coming to Montana and we will celebrate. I will take a day off or two!!

Good for you. I haven't a clue when I will make the plunge. I could stay home and run a day care for my children as our number of grandchildren will increase by 2 in the enxt 5 months.

Congratulations! Mac