Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Candles

Anyone who was young during the exciting fifties and sixties must remember these figurine candles. Last week my sister-in-law Lila gave me an old 2004 Martha Stewart Living magazine because it had a pink tree featured in an article. Well not one to let the magazine go without a thorough going over, I found this article about the little wax Christmas people, Santas, trees, etc.





In my childhood we had the Santa, the choir kids and trees. We also had fair size collection a Thanksgiving candles. In the going through the Christmas boxes I didn't run into any. I suppose Evie thought they had outlived their usefulness and tossed them or pack them up for the Goodwill to become someone new treasures.






Mom may have chucked the Snyder wax heirlooms but I was lucky enough to have the collection restarted when my other sister-in-law Sandra gave me these for Christmas a few years back. I can't rightly recall how the trees arrived but I will assume it was from an auction or the second hand stores that I comb-over in a timely manner. The cost was a whole 10 cents, which in my little people day bought a nice small brown bag of candy or if one were to splurge and buy a candy bar. The following comprise my collection of four.




The article did mention if you run across one of these treasures and it is showing a wee bit of dirt,to take a piece of pantyhose stretched over your index finger and gently rub in a circular motion, but best to test in an area least noticed. Or you can take a Q-tip dampened with soapy water and get in the crevices.

1 comment:

Susan said...

A few years ago Restoration Hardware reproduced some of these candles with minor modifications - the snowman with the yellow broom sports a red hat in the repros. I have a couple of those on my mantle.

So, as I am sure you have noted - Blogs are pretty powerful. Ever stop to consider how many of these candles you might receive as a result of your post? Might I advise setting your sights a bit higher - perhaps a sentimental article about that vintage Corvette you always wanted...? Just a thought.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!