Thursday, January 8, 2009

Here We Go Again



We are awaiting the full blast of this week's blizzardo. Expected is about 6.3 (who decides the .3? It went from 5.9 up to 6.3) inches of snow during the night and 30 mile an hour winds tomorrow. Sounds like a recipe for more trouble.

I guess first I should be a little more clear on my jargon. A blizzard requires snow and wind of 35 miles an hour for four or more hours. We only have a winter storm in our midst. We could have gusts to 34, but only gusts. Just a winter storm.

It has been quite the winter for us. We have over 50 inches of snow. It is everywhere, and still coming down. My son Erik (who is 32 today - Happy Birthday Erik!!) said one of the guys on the township board was out to the farm today (where we used to live) and was looking around at what roads should be closed as they are too difficult to keep open. Country folks are getting into town when they can to stock up and hope it isn't too long before they get out again.

We have had exemplary employees, who live out of town, staying at the nursing home because they know they will be needed for the next day. Living in town now I no longer have snow days. I usually can get to work (up the hill) and sometimes have to pinch hit in other departments. But back in my farm days, I was always glad to get home and be home when it stormed. In 1996/97 we were stormed in for nine days. That was a long spell! Thank goodness I didn't smoke or there could have been real trouble.

Well, so much for my love of winter. It hasn't paled yet, but I am thinking about it.

A little addendum: When Erik was born it was -28 below and we had gone to Minot to stay in a motel (with my sister in law and her husband as she was due too) because a "killer blizzard" was predicted. It didn't all out blizzard (remember the specs!) but it did block the roads. I went into labor that night so it was a good move on our part. Our little nine pound Erik was born at 4:13 in the morning.

2 comments:

Karlyn Frantsen said...

Happy Birthday to Eric and hats off to you! I don't remember knowing that his birthday was now. Elton has his on the 10th, and it usually is yukky weather. When he turned 30, we had a snirt storm. (I think it was his 30th!)
Stay warm! Karlyn

Nicole Reid said...

You've got snow and we've got rain coming down in buckets. At this point our only route to Spokane for Beau's birth is by plane. The mountain passes are closed off and on with avalanches and snow and the other roads are flooded.