Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wild




I have finished another book. I want to share:  WILD, by Cheryl Strayed.  Preface: this tome was chosen  by an online  discussion group "Beyond Busy Global Monthly Book Club with Christina Katz."  I am a rookie member and with hope, won't be sliced out of the loop for extreme tardiness.  Anyone can join by requesting to be a friend on Facebook.  I didn't think it would be too difficult to participate: read the book and join in the  discussion to which  a daily question is asked. Seven questions to be exact, one week's worth.    You are given a few weeks to read the book.  I jumped on board towards the end of the read, but was sure I could master the time frame. I'm  much more productive in my mind's eye than in  reality.  The discussion started on April 1st.   I missed the deadline by fifteen days.

Anyway, a captivating non-fiction book telling  of one woman's 1,100  mile hike of  the Pacific Crested Trail (PCT).  ALONE.   This monumental undertaking was done in 1995, when she was twenty-six.   Cheryl  was not a tree hugging, back packing amazon  yearning for an outdoor experience.  Not at all.  She was a mentally injured human being  dealing with her mother's cancer death at 45; abandonment by her abusive father when she was a young child; estrangement from her siblings;  a failed marriage and a fondness for heroin.  No fun in her dysFUNctional.

The hike  took on a"what-the-hell, this-trail-can't-batter-me-anymore-than-my-own-life-has"  affect or a personal "come to Jesus" moment  with herself and the world.  The moment took four months.  Her writing skills do a beautiful job of recreating this horrendous hike - on a trail I didn't even  know about (me, hiking??? What about my hair?  And why would I know of the PCT??) until I read the book. She encountered snow, unbearable heat and humidity (there goes the hair), lack of water, trail food at its worst, bears, snakes, a potential rape, getting lost, even losing her shoes.  How she mastered the trail, and didn't let it master her, is amazing.

But she also discovered there is lots more good in this world than bad.  And yes,  life will beat you up if you let it.  She prevailed.  Good read, now go get the book!!

Cheryl with Monster - the friendly and way too heavy backpack

Next month's  (May 1st) discussion is for the book "Some Assembly Required."  I wonder if I will make the deadline?












No comments: