Saturday, September 12, 2009

USO Show

Last night Ron and I went to the USO show held at the Dakota Territory Air Museum. This event honored our military (past and present) as well as a tribute to our patriotism, so rejuvenated after the 9 11 tragedy. All the hard work that went into this production was evident by a spectacular show - a good time was had by all. It was a wonderful night.


Pictured from left to right: Terry Aldrich, Jan Veikley, Pam Hopkins, Teri Hurley, Brenda Demke, John Witteman and Steve Veikley

The tickets informed us: semi formal, vintage or patriotic dress. I, of course, didn't have anything vintage. In the forties the clothes seemed like they belonged on the pencil thin figure which I have long since abandon for a more mealy look. Vintage for me would have been the maid's uniform.

There was a style show of vintage military uniforms, Red Cross workers, and a few forties ensembles. Terry Aldrich wore a stunning off white (hand made ) dress that accentuated a 17 inch waist, which I'm sure she had. Some of the guests did actually wear vintage. My favorites were Warren and Jolene Pietsch.



Jolene had on dress bought in a Douglas AZ thrift shop, toted to North Dakota by Robin Brekhus. She looked, for lack of a better word, adorable. When she danced her skirt flew out like a scarf in a summer breeze.

Warren stepped back into his heritage by wearing the suit his father Alfred wore the day he married his mother, Eleanor DeBilt, in 1945. After a hem drop on the trousers, the suit fit like a glove. Eleanor was at the USO show and beamed like a lighthouse when he went to the front, along with all the other vintage dressers.

The hour long musical tribute was performed by Java Jive Jazz, Sisters by Choice, and The Quarter Notes. A jazz band called Backyard Swing Band, directed by George Helm, provided the music. Live music makes all the difference.

I was disappointed in myself for not remembering the trusty Nikon. I only had the point and shoot unit, which doesn't capture my idea of a good photo; henceforth limited pictures. At least I wasn't a nuisance with the "lens in your face" routine.

For all of you merely reading this, you missed a special night!

2 comments:

Karlyn Frantsen said...

Sounds like it was a night not to miss!!! Glad you could be there!!! I probably would have had something vintage you could have worn!!!!

Mary Liz said...

Ya, but I didn't think of you. Next time. ML