Saturday, February 20, 2010

Neti Pot


The latest trip to the doc (Wednesday) was to treat my sinusitis. Kim prescribed: 10 days of Biaxin, cough syrup and a NETI POT. My look was in the huh?? zone. She laughed and said many of her patients have used it with pleasing success. She said if I were interested I could pick one up.

That I did. Our local drugstore carries them. Bonnie, the pharmacist, said, "Kim has suggested it to others who have sinus troubles. We've sold quite a few."

For a little over $18.00 I got a fine sky blue plastic pot and fifty packets of saline solution. According to the directions this is not a new invention by any stretch of the imagination. It has been used in India for centuries and is one of the disciplines of Yoga.

Neti Flow works on the gravity flow method. It is claims to reduce or even eliminate recurring sinusitis. It is a little odd the first time you use it. I was transported back to my youth when I was learning to swim and blow water out of my nose at the same time. If you didn't do it right you were headed for that tingly, too much water feeling. But in short I did feel better after using it. Simply pour warm water into a nostril while bending over the sink. The fluid will come out of the other nostril, repeat on the other side. Tip: make sure the water is about the same as body temp.

I have also implemented the use for Carsten and Lacy who both have a nasally, allergy set of symptoms. They have been prescribed a daily lorantidine tablets to address their symptoms. The Neti seems to have been successful for Carsten, Lacy I don't know.

Just thought this Neti Pot idea was worth sharing for any allergy, rhinitis suffers or anybody with just plain stuffed, clog nasal passageways.

4 comments:

Karlyn Frantsen said...

I haven't had the opportunity or need to try this- doesn't sound like something I'd like to do at this point-maybe someday...but I really like the color of the pot!!!
Glad it's working for you!

Nicole Reid said...

I tried it once. It gave me such a horrible headache that I forgot all about my stuffy nose! Robert has used one and had success with it however.

Carla said...

i did do this with my bout with sinusitus this winter as well and I loved it!! It brought so much relief. I do have to say that I decided to try a homemade method and thanks to a recommendation off the internet I used a salt solution using a turkey baster! ha - never used it for the turkey anyways and it worked!

Bugeater said...

Please make sure to post pictures of the Neti Pot procedure. Thanks.