Friday, July 23, 2010

Nanny Gram and Auntie LuLu's Trip

On the 4th of July, long before the fireworks of the day, Lacy and I were on our way to Seattle to fulfill our duties as auntie and grandma to two special kids, Lainey and Beau.




Getting there had a moment.

As early as 5:30 a.m. on the morning of the 4th, we had already had our own little fireworks. That is what happens when Ron makes an unplanned, hurried trip to the airport to deliver my passport. Why the passport? My driver's license had expired on the 24th of June. What a surprise when the lady said,

"I need some other form of photo ID."

"OH, you mean as in my passport which is in my top dresser drawer twenty-five miles from here?

"That'll work." was the answer she gave me.

We were not even out of Minot and there was had trouble on the horizon. The official TSA (Thousands Standing Around!)guy said they would accept my expired license for up to a year but the airlines wavered. She would take it in Minot, but she thought I would have trouble in Seattle trying to get home. So henceforth, I had to call happy Ron, get him out of bed, verbally walk him to the middle drawer, find the document and then tell him to drive to Minot so I could begin this journey. Anyone who knows Ron will back me: changing a flat tire in a snowstorm with only a pliers would be more pleasant.

And then Lacy, who had never flown before, almost went down on me in panic - absolutely sure we would miss our flight, which wouldn't board until 6:00 am. and besides we didn't even have a crew yet. Calmeth down Lacy!

All in all, we did get the passport and it proved to be the only rocky spot of the trip.

It was a fun flight as we were headed for Salt Lake City, a new flight route out of Minot. Up until June all flights out of Minot, for about the last 10 years or so, have had to connect in Minneapolis. We now have service to Denver and Salt Lake as well as Minneapolis. The plane was about half full so I assume it is already in jeopardy of being axed. Anyway, It was a clear day so I enjoyed looking out the window. After Salt Lake it was a jam packed plane with no window seat.

Seattle here we come...



This is the view two blocks from Robert and Nic's house where there is a nice park that overlooks Elliot Bay. In Magnolia, (neighborhood) where they live, there are two distinct hills, the BIG and the little hill. The BIG stands for BIG money. On the big hill they don't have all the overhead wires, the little hill does. To me all the wires were very noticeable, wires everywhere. On clear day from this park you can see Mt. Rainier. In fact for two days, the entire mountain was visible. Not a frequent vista. Why didn't I go back?

Seeing the Space Needle reminds me of the Space Noodle as it is now known in Davis-Reid circles. That is what Lainey calls it; every time she sees it she says, "There is another Space Noodle." One day she will figure it out that it really is the same one she always see. Another forward step she will take as she leaves behind her toddler hood and moves on.



A little shack on the little hill, and for sale - 1.5 takes it.



For three mornings I walked Lainey to her preschool cooking class, six ass-sculpting blocks away. Looking through someone's gate, with my telephoto lens I got this shot of the "big hill." Well, you had to be there.



The magnolias were on the wane buy I spotted this tree with the last of the flowers. Henceforth, the area is called Magnolia. More telephoto work.



The foliage, the greenery were everywhere. Yards were amazing, with little "lawn." Professional maintenance is heavily used and, I am assuming, a very good business to be in if you are any good.

Magnolia is unique as each house was different, lots of Craftsman design which I love. Houses have been redone over the years but there were still plenty of homes buried in overgrowth. They have, scattered in Magnolia and all of Seattle, an aging population, who no longer can care for their homes as they should but, like everywhere, nobody want to leave home until they have to.

Seattle was a point west for many North Dakotans in the 30's and 40's, looking for a better way of life. My aunt and uncle, who are long gone, were a case in point. They moved out there during the war and did very well for themselves. Even today in skimming obituaries (yes, I am that sick!) many of the deceased's relatives are located in Washington. I thought of Adele and Clatyon often as we wheeled around Seattle for eight days. To all of us back in the heartland, they really were in the big city!


A typical groomed yard along the walking path.




Coming up from the village. I pushed Beau the entire climb. Sad to report my larger than life derriere follow me up and is still attached.



I thought this was rather interesting for a driveway. Giant rumble strips if you get out of the path??

Now, I am going to publish this post of our general start. With over 500 photos to stumble through I need to break this project into workable hunks. Next entry - the family photos and, as we say here is God's country, the "doings" of the week.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Didn't you and your family attend the World's Fair in Seattle back in the sixties (1964???)? I seem to recall this as my family never went anywhere except the lake and to me this was quite a trip and a huge event! I had only been as far west as Bismark, which would be true for quite a few more years.

Mary Liz said...

No, we never did a World's Fair. I did go to Seattle @ age 6 with Tom, Mom and my Aunt Mae.