Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Too Busy?

My retired life is almost getting too busy for me. So little time to catch up on things and record for this blog. This writing is coming to you from the some times sunny Seattle.

Lacy and I are camped at Nicole's for a Nanny gram visit while Robert (Mr. Nicole) is in Sing Sing, no wait a minute, in Singapore. The setup is 3-2: three adults (Lace, this is your "adult" debut) to two toddlers.

Last week I was deep in the throws of the first 5K for Velva. Four of us, who have never ran a race, thought we could pull it off. By all accounts, it looks like we succeeded.

My start came when Maria Effertz Hanson asked if I wanted to get in on the 5K race.

"I don't run, except out of money." I retorted back.

"Oh, but we could use help in registration."

"Okay." were my famous last words, thinking I'll show up with my pen.

In actuality there is lots of behind the scene work to get these little fundraisers up and running, no pun intended. We had wonderful sponsors who provided the start up monies and then 135 runners and walkers signed up taking our donation tally over 2,000 dollars. The dollars and cents, after setting aside seed money for next year, will go to Velva summer recreation program.

Not bad for a bunch of beginners.







1 comment:

Susan said...

I laughed out loud when I saw the picture of you at the 5K WITH YOUR T SHIRT SLEEVES ROLLED UP to eliminate the tan line. Some things - and some people - never change (thank goodness!). Have fun in Seattle.