Monday, February 9, 2009

Back to Business


It has been almost two weeks since my mother passed away. I have been inundated with all the regular things that go on in my life, and then a few extras, all gently embedded in grief. Life does go on whether we are up for it or not.

On a realistic note, it was a blessing that she went so peacefully. There was so little quality to her life. I went every day, either after work or on my days off. We would sit, she in her wheelchair and I in her recliner (she had two recliners in her private room, but always opted for the wheelchair) We would watch Ellen and Dr. Phil. Many many times she would look at me and say, "I have no idea what they are talking about." On the weekends we would watch Turner Classic Movies. Many of the movies I would remember from years gone by or with a classic story line. One time we were watching "The Cinderella Story" with Drew Barrymore and I would preface now and then, she looked at me and asked "How do you know so much about this story?"

Many memories, but now I much march through the finalizing of her belongings, her business, her life. My brother and I have been wading through the house since Dad died, almost ready to put it on the market. So it isn't like we just started yesterday. But as I said, there is the everyday stuff that goes on: meals, laundry, bills, clutter, problems, etc. I also like to keep my hand in the pleasurable things like writing and reading. I am getting so worn out. How do people do it who have lots more to deal with then I? Maybe there is some real found truth in God only gives you what you can handle. It should read: what you can barely handle.

We leave in a few short weeks for the destination wedding of Tad and Missy. I am looking forward to it but geez, so much to get ready before we go. Time marches on and waits for no one, including me.

2 comments:

Nicole Reid said...

All you can do is your best. Some stuff will just have to wait. You have to take care of yourself GML! Otherwise, you'll get on that boat, exhale, and get sick!

You've got three kids at home that are capable of doing the dishes, helping with laundry, etc. Put em to work! It's good for them!

Karlyn Frantsen said...

One day at a time, my friend! I am so excited for you and your cruise and vacation and wedding! You deserve a break today!!! You'll make it with God's blessings- Karlyn