Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Elements of Style

Fifty years ago today a teeny, weeny book hit the market that is still in use today, just not as vehemently as in years past. "The Elements of Style" or also known as "the little book," was primarily used in the college classroom as a resource for writing and composition. It was written by William Strunk, Jr. in 1918. The little book was privately printed by Mr. Strunk himself in an effort to "cut the vast tangle of English rhetoric down to size." His heralding cry was: Omit needless words!

Later in 1957 E.B. White, (yes, E.B. of Charlotte's Web fame) who was a student of Mr. Strunk's, was commissioned by Macmillan & Company to revise the homemade ditty for the college market. So henceforth (it must have taken him two years!) we have another birthday to celebrate. The Elements of Style. I myself need to invest some serious study time into this tome.

In the meantime, I will rely on my good and smart friend Karlyn to exorcise me from bad habits, bad spelling and bad grammar. She has been instructed to reprimand me repeatedly: never let up. My mother used to comment when I flubbed, "Mary Elizabeth that was a glaring error!" It usually involved the improper use go, went and gone. Both my mother and Karlyn paid attention in school. I, on the other hand, focused too much on the social element.

I found this card the other day and had to give it to Karlyn. But it needed to be shared on the blog on this momentous anniversary day. The card also keys into my style of grammar just a wee bit more.



Mary Liz, once again, relying on Karlyn for the correct answer. Thanks Karlyn! P.S. she hasn't told me yet.

3 comments:

Nicole Reid said...

I don't know how you find the time for these "random deep thoughts" but they sure are intriging! And by the way, I think both are accurate depending on which area of the country you are in.

Bugeater said...

I have the book! I've read the book. I use the book. I like the book. The book is good. Happy I am.

Karlyn Frantsen said...

Thanks for the book and terrific card! I'm wondering which one is me? (lol) I probably need to read/study the book since I have big shoes to fill with your mom gone- I'm hoping I won't slip up! As for the quesiton, I think you're on your own for deciding that one! I prefer the butt naked, but I don't think it matters- I agree with Lainey's mom! It's probably like the sloppy joes and slushburgers!