Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My Take on Facebook



I jumped on the Facebook concept last week and I am still a little mystified at myself as well as the entire setup, for lack of a better description. Is it something I truly need in my over crowed, underachieved, anarchic world?

I am a known collector of crapola: stuff, projects, weight, ideas - some rather grandiose I might add. You name it and I have touched on it, or at least in thought. Now another venue to suck up my time. (Bear with me, this is almost cathartic and I may stumble upon an answer)

The first few days were pretty exciting as I was exploring the way it worked. The techie girl was surfacing: how much can I figure out without reading directions, random clicking and double clicking. I think I have it down now. But still wonder if the whole world can read certain entries or do some things go directly to the intended viewer/"friend." Given my opinionated comments, I should find out before too long. Somebody will get a splash of me not intended. This could result in friend revocation, is there such a thing?

Late Breaking New: This am (4-9)Facebook welcomed its 200 millionth user. Maybe I should have waited, there could have been a noteworthy prize in my future.

Now this deal about "friends." You need to invite/ask someone to be your friend, or they request you as a friend. What happens if they fail to respond, for whatever reason? Will I need a therapist on speed dial? I feel I have finally put my grade school years behind me. The years of one week you're cool and the next week you're snake venom with crooked bangs and corrective shoes. This could set me up for a relapse. Maybe I am the only one on the planet who took those tender years to heart.




I guess I will have to see if I can tough out the Facebook lifestyle. If I just fade away from the royal blue site, you can be sure I took it too much to heart.

1 comment:

Bugeater said...

I feel lucky facebook was not around in my youth. As I see it as something that could cause a lot of problems for kids. Imagine someone posting a picture they didn't want posted and suddenly several hundred kids at your school were laughing about it. And the comments that might be made about it, and since you're tagged in the photo, you get to read every comment as it comes in good or bad. I like facebook for myself, but I'm really leary of how it will be used by my kids.