Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Moves

Having taken dance for nine years when I was growing up in the usually quiet river city of Fargo North Dakota I did come to know that you either have it or you don't. That is, the ability to hear the music and feel the moves at the same time. Where the feeling is just as powerful as the moves and you know how to get it across. It flows out of you with little or no effort. I don't think I ever had "it" but I am sure for a few moments in time, back in those idyllic childhood days, I thought that I was pretty good at "the dance". After all I was the a girl that was going to: teach school during the week, teach dance on Saturday and write Nancy Drew books on Sunday. That was before I figured out how great it was to take an afternoon nap come week end. I know better now. An incidentally I have yet to pursue those childhood ambitions.

I have a FLIP video of Lacy doing some of her moves, they seem to flow out her with little or no thought. It is as if she plays music by ear, but instead she dances by feel. Sometimes I will be talking to her and she will answer me with a Buddha like move, head going one way, body the other and talking at the same time.

She took two years of Just For Kix dance and the then one year with a college girl, who I thought was somewhat of a rip off artist. But Lace loved her and would dance all the harder. I shot this tonight while she jumping around to the music on her cell phone. I think she has what it takes.


7 comments:

Susan said...

Lest you forget, you were the QUEEN of the handstand. What's your record? Two? Three HOURS? Also crawling down the wall backwards.... You had your talents!!!

Karlyn Frantsen said...

I'd like to see the talents that Susan is talking about!!! Enjoyed seeing Lacy do her moves!! Karlyn

Susan said...

She was amazing. She could stand on her hands FOREVER!

Susan said...

I'll bet she still could....

Mary Liz said...

I can't even jump off the dining room chair after changing a light bulb without shrieking in full blown pain. What would up side down be like?

Susan said...

Well, maybe if you jumped down off the chair onto your HANDS.....

Susan said...

And while I am at it - what would we have not given to have had a trampoline in our backyard when we were 11 years old? Now that wasliving!