Saturday, May 2, 2009

What is Going On?

Since her couture is my fervent hobby, this had to be addressed. When I saw the following photo in our newly arrived TIME magazine I ceased to be able to absorb the following (I don't know how many were left) 100 most influential people in the world, as the cover so boldly announced. I was cranked and ready for words.



What the hell happened to the facings on this dress?? I see there is stay stitching around the neckline and shoulders so possibly someone was planning to take it to the next level, which would be facings or maybe even a sleeve. Most of us really appreciate two, sleeves that is. Miss Yantzer (correct me if I am wrong Susan) our seventh grade Home Ec. teacher at Agassiz Jr. High, a.k.a Agony at Agassiz, would be spinning in her grave at the speed of sound if she saw this atrocity, if she is in fact dead.

I have in my personal Barbie collection, in the homemade clothes subdivision, lots of dresses that look just like this nefarious unfinished product. They are itsy bitsy teeny weeny dresses crafted out of fabric scraps my mother so religiously saved. To put in a facing, let alone a sleeve, was far too microsopic of work for my ten year old nail bitten fingers. But we all know Michelle is not microscopic.

I am at a complete loss to understand this new variety of fashion. The rules seem to have changed. Where was I, in the bathroom or on the phone as this bad idea took hold? But the real question is: where the hell are the facings? You tell me!!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Interesting you should reference Mrs. (Maureen) Yantzer. Somewhere along the line I saw her picture published locally - anyway, she lives in Phoenix. A 2-minute search of the internet turned up her address so if you would like, you can ask her yourself. Sewing - as with anything "crafty" - was never my strong suit (you may remember. I was never "good enough to attempt Barbie clothes - I did make many troll outfits - a fitting tribute to my sewing prowess.) I remember doing facings - Michelle would not have looked very good in my finished product either. Of course, the assignment was not to dress the First Lady....