Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Preparedness

In the past 18 months I have done considerable digging into the fifty plus years that made up the home of my parents and subsequently the home I was raised in. Hanging in the laundry room, high up near the top shelf, was a small beat up license plate hanging by two old nails. It didn't have imprinted on it all the usual data one would find on a license plate - state, year, numbers or letters. This little mini had one word stamped out: MaryLiz.

The plate had hung there for over 50 years. I always knew it was there but never was in any big hurry to take it down. I knew the day would come and it would go with the final stuff of 1514 12th Street South.

On my last trip it came home with me. I considered hanging it on my current bike, a nice well built model with a full comfortable seat. No, instead it sat on the dresser for a few plus weeks until last weekend,on a cleaning spree, I decided to hang it on my bed post. On my side of the bed.

Having rather an eclectic decorating style I think it looks just fine. Letting my mind wander I thought of early preparedness. Should I ever contract Alzheimer's and get mixed up, I will know which side of the bed is mine. Should I wake up and not remember my name, there it will be in chipped white letters. And of course, should my beloved betrothed ever haul home a stray (remember my mind is in the wander gear) and decide to take things to the ultimate level (I don't have a clue where I will be during this warped scenario) there it will be, the tin reminder that this bed belongs to someone else, that would be MARYLIZ!!



Sorry Susan for the random haphazard toss of the pillows. Everyday when I hurl the pillows at the headboard, I think of you. It would kill you to see such anarchy in bed making. Must be where they conjured up: Opposites attract.



I was searching in a box of old photos, looking for a shot of my old trike with the name on the back. This was as close as I could find without spending a week digging. The trike is in a heap in the background. I was engaged in my early years of shoe worshipping, which is still a thriving thrill in my life.

2 comments:

Nicole Reid said...

"Haul home a stray." That was the highlight of my day today! Love the pic of you when you were little.

Susan said...

Yes...I did notice the pillows - but only in passing as I marveled and what a cute headboard you have and how much I love the color on your bedroom wall. And the way you have set interesting objects on your night stand I have no sense of color - at all - I can't pick paint hence my walls are all "Swiss coffee" white. No guts, no glory. It made me sad to think of the house emptied out. Did you get pictures of it? When we moved out of 9th St. I was in Europe and never got to so see it stripped down - something I have always regretted. (And I think I might remember that license plate - it must have been bigger than you were!)