Friday, April 2, 2010

April Showers

Today I awoke to the sound of rain splashing on the bedroom windows. As I tromped out to the curb to get the newspaper, I felt the wet on my face and dampened my newspaper. All this week, in the early morning I have heard the birds chirping in the trees as I retrieved the paper. Today they are silent, possibly hiding under some shelter. There are no leaves yet to protect their little carcasses.

A new season has officially begun. That is not to say we still can't have snow, even measurable amounts, but rain is coming down washing the dirt of winter away. Spring rains, a.k.a. April showers, are here.

Our yard has a fair amount of snow mold, a gray webby looking net that sits on top of the lawn, anchored all winter between the snow and grass. Its official name is Typhula blight and really rather common. Quick research tells me it is from a couple of possibilities: ground not frozen before a lasting snowfall, or possibly too late nitrogen application last fall. Light raking and the sun's drying ability should eradicate the blight. Grey mold, which we have, is superficial and less damaging. Pink mold is more troublesome due to it is penetrating the crown of the grass growth.






Gee, Google can make me sound like somewhat of an authority on snow mold. The images came from Google as well, not our yard.

Everyone around this house seems to have allergy symptoms too, and snow mold is a common culprit, more University of Google info. I have great faith in this washing rain to assist in alleviating the symptoms, but then comes all the blooming...

Well anyway, I do like a day of rain!

1 comment:

Nicole Reid said...

If you like rain, you should come out here right now. We're supposed to get a big windstorm with winds up to 60mph and all rain the forecast for this week.