Thursday, April 29, 2010

Farewell

"Farewell, farewell, to you and you and you..."

A great catchy tune from Roger and Hammerstein's famous musical, The Sound of Music. Somehow I don't think Karlyn will be dancing and singing around the facility in her alpine outfit. She will be blubbery and gushy more than anything. Sob, sob, choking back big luminescent tears.

Today is her last day (4-29) as Souris Valley Care Center. Home to many and forever in the hearts of hundreds, maybe thousands. Twenty-five years of hard work, blood, sweat, and tears (don't forget prayer) she heart fully gave to the facility.

Her duties began as a Nurse Aid in 1985 as she reinstated her RN license. Shortly after her training at the now defunct St. Luke's Nursing School in Fargo and subsequent licensure, she married and raised her family of four wonderful children. As they grew and became big enough to fend for themselves, Elton gave her the employment boot.

As she tells the story: "I went to work crying and will leave the facility in the same shape."

Isn't the life we travel bittersweet??

After her RN reinstatement she went on to be Charge Nurse, Quality Assurance, Infection control and Staff Development nurse. She was an exemplary employee as she wore her many hats. Three people will take over her positions. Interesting.

I was lucky enough to give her a send-off speech at her retirement party last Thursday. In composing some notes I kept coming back to one theme: her devotion to our motto: "IN CHRIST'S LOVE EVERYONE IS SOMEONE."

I have a plethora of friends whom I love and cherish, but Karlyn is the one I need to walk behind. The one who very VERY seldom condemns, judges or criticizes (then she is really mad!!). She prays for the good of Christ to shine in all of us and is there for the weak, the strong, the good and the bad; the broken hearted and the downtrodden - and everybody in between.

She came into my life on my first day of my employment at SVCC (23 years ago) and hasn't left; although she may have wanted to a time or two. When the chips were down, and when they weren't, she was there. I am just one story of many; what a gal and what a friend!

So now it is for the rest of us to say a prayer for Karlyn as she walks down this lonesome trail of her last day. It is time for all of us to give her a hand, much like she did for all of us, (you do not know how may times she included YOU in her prayers!!)

She has a new road ahead and all of us will be there for her, like she is and was for us.!


Karlyn and her sisters.



Karlyn and her husband Elton.



The cake.



It looks like the tears are dry and she is ready for the new road ahead. Happy retirement to my special friend. Welcome to the other side!! My that sounds like the pearly gates story, how about - HERE'S TO RETIREMENT! Love, Mary Liz

5 comments:

Karlyn Frantsen said...

I wasn't crying yet until I read your post, MaryLiz!! You make me sound too good!! Thanks so very much for your friendship and for your thoughts and prayers esp. today as I start the day with a job, and walk out unemployed! I can't believe that it's happening, but am ready to see how it feels!!! Love, tears, and smiles!!

Nicole Reid said...

Funny, nurses all have the same look to them. I can't put my finger on it but there's just something about them that sets them apart from the rest of us. Good luck Karlyn!

KaLonny said...

Brought tears to my eyes too. Thanks for all you do for all of us, Mom! Love you more than I can say!

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

This brought a tear to my eye, too.

Have a wonderful retirement - enjoy tomorrow and the next day and the next day and the.....